Filing a Whistleblower Reprisal Complaint with the OIG
If you believe you are being threatened with retaliation or have been retaliated against for having disclosed alleged wrongdoing, you may file a complaint by emailing the HUDOIG hotline at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Your name, email address and telephone number;
- Specific facts that support your complaint;
- The name(s) of the person(s) who have retaliated or have threatened to retaliate against you;
- Any information that would assist the OIG in assessing your complaint of reprisal; and
- Whether you wish to remain anonymous.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU FILE A REPRISAL COMPLAINT WITH THE OIG
Each complaint is factually and procedurally unique and will be evaluated case by case.
- In every case we will educate the employee on their rights, responsibilities and remedies under whistleblower protection laws.
- In every case we will respect and listen carefully to the whistleblower and engage in candid conversations to promote the efficiency of the service and anti-retaliation.
- The OIG whistleblower ombudsman does not provide legal advice or representation to whistleblowers.
The OIG may respond to a whistleblower complaint in several ways:
- Conduct an informal or formal inquiry to determine if reprisal is threatened or actual;
- If initial fact finding demonstrates potential reprisal, advise the appropriate Assistant Secretary to intervene or alert them to the possible consequences of retaliation;
- Inform the employee of alternate avenues for relief;
- Refer the employee to the Employee Assistance Program;
- Assist the employee in seeking formal relief through the agencies with statutory jurisdiction to investigate, prosecute and order corrective action and discipline (United States Office of Special Counsel (OSC) and MSPB.
If you have questions or need assistance please contact the Whistleblower Ombudsman, Maura Malone, at: email@example.com